Former television actor David Caruso made a rare public appearance on Monday, May 18, 2026, while running errands in Sherman Oaks, California.
The 72-year-old former star has maintained a low-profile lifestyle since stepping away from the entertainment industry more than a decade ago.
>>> Oracle Stock Rises Amid Surge in AI Infrastructure Demand
Caruso wore light gray sweatpants, a gray printed shirt, dark-colored Crocs, a beige fedora, and black sunglasses, with his red hair worn long.
This casual look contrasts sharply with the tailored image of Lieutenant Horatio Caine, the character he played on the CBS crime drama CSI: Miami from 2002 to 2012.
Life After Hollywood
The network series concluded its 10-season run in 2012 due to low ratings and an overblown budget.
Following the cancellation, Caruso chose to exit Hollywood entirely and later transitioned into the art world as a gallery owner and art dealer in Southern California.
An art gallery space he operated in Westlake Village closed in 2025. He was also spotted transporting paintings in February 2026, according to reports.
>>> Novvia Group Acquires APC Packaging to Strengthen Beauty Market Presence
Before his decade-long tenure on CSI: Miami, Caruso notably left the hit series NYPD Blue during its second season in 1994 to pursue a movie career.
Early film projects like Kiss of Death and Jade failed to gain traction, leading to a period of limited success before his 2002 television comeback.
Reflections on His Career
Reflecting on his return to television after his initial film career attempts did not succeed, Caruso previously discussed his motivations with Entertainment Weekly.
He stated, "I had to come back and prove I could do it again."
Caruso further explained that the television opportunity represented a critical turning point after his lengthy period without acting work.
>>> Elon Musk's OpenAI Lawsuit Dismissed as SpaceX IPO Looms
"The films didn't work out, and this show gave me a second chance. I wasn't going to waste it," he said.
He later summarized the reality of his extended career transition with a blunt assessment of his time out of the industry.
"I had nine years of unemployment to clarify that," Caruso added.
While television producer Steven Bochco described Caruso as difficult on set in the book Truth Is A Total Defense, Caruso addressed the allegations by acknowledging his past missteps.
"Young actors sometimes do very dumb things. I was no exception," he said.
>>> Silver Heights Capital Exits Polaris Position, Sells 210,272 Shares
Caruso currently resides in California, where he continues to focus on art while avoiding media scrutiny and Hollywood schedules.